Question concerning the SODA runner

Hi all,

Is there anything additional needed to use the SODA runner? My understanding is that SODA is faster and more efficient than basic WINE with regard to gaming, but I am unable to get several games to launch with it (switching to WINE works fine). Is there a problem with switching the runner post-installation? Thanks!

Mongo

Nah, the runners are supposed to be interchangeable (though there are some reports of corrupting whole bottle if you switch them too many times).

Not exactly faster, but some additional patches. Soda is based on Proton. Coffee is based on Wine development.

so, for example.
Soda is 7.0 so that’s the wine version used, caffe is 7.18 so it’s a newer version. It may have additional code that lets you run the mentioned several games.

See the first reply.

1 Like

Thank you so much! The primary game in question was Batman: Arkham Asylum. Everything I have works fine (despite a few stutters in frame rate) using the WINE runner installed alongside SODA. I am new to the whole idea of gaming on Linux (I had been doing fairly well in VMs, but many games don’t play nice with the virtual video card), so I appreciate your patience…:slight_smile:

Mongo

1 Like