How to open html files with the native web browser

I am trying to open (make the association) a html file with my native web browser (Brave but I have Firefox as well).
I followed the instructions from this page: How To Make WINE Open Links In Your Default Linux Browser ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

I have also used Flatseal to grant pretty much all the permissions to Bottles.

I have a file called index.html (just a hello world test file) in the c:\ drive and when I use the legacy Explorer to open the file I get this error:

“There is no Windows program configured to open this type of file”

My system details
Distro: Arch Linux
Bottles v 51.6 (flatpak)

Note If I use “wine explorer” with a traditional wine prefix, explorer can open html files no problem (opens with my default web browser). The necessary registry string is present.

Steps to reproduce:

• create a new bottle
  • create a simple html file in the c:\
  • follow the instructions to edit the registry to add the necessary Browsers string under the WineBrowser key
  • close Bottles and reopen
  • use the legacy Explorer to try to open the html file

I suspect this is an issue with flatpaks and sandboxing but can’t figure out how to get around it.

Just fyi…my ultimate application is to be able to use RMS Winlink forms wtih the VARA modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so I installed Bottles from the AUR and opened the existing Bottle as well as created a new Bottle but I am getting the same error. So this rules out the Flatpak I believe.

I am going to compare the system.reg, user.reg and userdef.reg files from a traditional Wineprefix with one from Bottles to see if I can determine what is causing this.